Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cottage Kitsch

Gosh, has it really been a week since I posted anything?

We didn't visit the cottage last weekend. The winds were strong which means the lake was roiling.








(photos from Rice Lake Today)
I think I also needed a weekend with no to-do list!

I did do a bit of cottage shopping for kitchen items (measuring cups, scissors, that kind of stuff) and picked up some cheapie decor items at the Dollarama. You might remember my struggles early on with the living room colour-scheme. I couldn't decide if it was retro or fresh, remember? Well, maybe it's a bit of both.

I found these fantastically ugly - so ugly I love them - owls at the 'rama. Aren't they horrid?! Pure 70s kitsch. I'm calling them Hodge, Podge, and Lodge.

"Toowhit toowhee! Toowhit Toowhoo!"

Now, before you think I've totally taken leave of my senses, here's a photo of Hodge, Podge, and Lodge with a fabric sample.
Eh?! They kinda go, don't they!? Gosh they're ugly.  They'll look great hanging out on a shelf together.

The other 'rama find was an 8x10 frame. I bought three. Please ignore the "artwork" shown in the frame.
I like the rough and the ropey look to them. I'm thinking about putting these in the bunk room. I don't know what I'm going to put in them, though.
*puzzle* Suggestions welcome!

I was thinking nautical flags.. then I was thinking "Hodge Podge Lodge" (one in each frame), then I was thinking just patterned paper, then I was thinking cross-stitch, then I was thinking photos of fishing lures, then I was thinking photos of fish, and now I'm so awash in ideas I'm aimless. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment