Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Boat?

I'm running out of things to show you! We're fast approaching our closing date (November 27th) and expect to have an appointment at the lawyer pretty soon to finalize the property transfer. Then, we search for a boat!

Well, in truth, then we go on a trip. Then we get ready for Christmas. Then we have Christmas. And maybe then we start to search for a boat.

We're looking for a small bow-rider (bow-rider because it holds a bevvy of wiggly children plus extra cargo space for hauling junk to the island when it's just us), and have a bead on a boat for sale on Rice Lake. It's a '92 Bayliner, but according to Marvin-the-all-knowing marina guy, it's been gently used and has been well-maintained by the owners (who bought it new in '92). He says it's important to know a boat's history when you buy it because a motor is good for about 300 hours of cruising time. If the boat's been used for waterskiing (racking up lots and lots of hours), it's just not going to last you as long.

Because the boat is more than 15 years old, we'll need to take it in to a marina to have it... dang .. I think he said "marine tested" before we get the boat licensed. I'm thinking of it like getting your car certified, so I'm more than happy to have that inspection done.  Marvin really is a wealth of info, and so happy to share.

Any who. If the boat is the one I think it is (he didn't tell us how long it was), I think it's like this one:

[2010-03-26 update: the post this used to link to is gone. For some pictures, look here.]

If you click here, you can see more views of the boat, but it's not the exact one we'd be buying.

In the meantime, I have some homework to do! I need to read through the Safe Boating Course materials and the Transport Canada's Safe Boating Guide before I take the test for my boat operator card.

No comments:

Post a Comment