Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Hodge Podge in the Lodge

I might have mentioned in previous posts about the "ramshackle" nature of our new cottage. Since I won't have any news of cottage developments for at least two weeks, I figured I'd spend a few days showing you some of the high lights and low lights of our lovely new "summer home". The hodge podge, as it were, in the lodge.

Today, I'm going to share a low-light, and one of our top priorities on the fix-it scale. Granted, it's a purely cosmetic issue, but it's one I think will make a dramatic improvement in the character of the place. Of course, I am referring to the floor.

Here's where we stand quite literally today, on an eye-watering melange of grungey office carpet, peeling peel-n-stick vinyl tiles, two kinds of sheet linoleum and more carpet (green shag, beige shag, and yes, even red shag). Did I mention the cottage is about 600 sq. ft? Honestly, how hard is it to make the flooring match when you're dealing with 600 sq ft? Truly hodge podge lodge. The worst has to be the carpeted bathroom, though <wanders off to make gagging noises>.
I might've pushed the flooring further down the to-do list had it not been for the carpeted bathroom. But, if we're doing that floor, I want to do all of it!


I've been casting about for a cost-effective solution  (we're talking about a cottage after all, not the Ritz) that has some charm, will endure dripping wet kids, and will clean up easily.
My first choice right now is vinyl plank flooring.
I have yet to see it in person since we haven't been to the depot but it has some features in its favour:
  1. Easy to install.
  2. Waterproof.
  3. Under $2 a sq. ft.
  4. Comes in manageable boxes easily transported by our non-existent boat.
My chief concern about the product right now is the cold. The product has been "freeze" rated to -10 C, but we all know the inside of an un-insulated cottage in Canada is going to dip below -10 C. What happens when it gets really cold?

Anyrate. That's what I'm thinking about right now.

3 comments:

  1. is the cottage truly "uninsulated" or just thinly insulated?... if none at all, you may want to consider what it would take to add some to the walls & ceiling of one of the buildings, to give you the shoulder fall and spring seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what about the window coverings... are they as hodge podge as the flooring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is "some" insulation in the walls and possibly ceiling (we couldn't get in there to check) but there's nothing under the flooring besides subfloor and joists.

    As for the curtains, they're as hodgepodge as the rest of the place, and also on my hit list of things to change.

    ReplyDelete