Sunday, January 10, 2010

Inching toward a decision

Boy. If all my shopping excursions are this productive, we ought to have the cottage finished in 2019, sharp.

*sigh*

I went to Fabricland with Mom (thanks Mom!) and trolled through their drapery and upholstery section. I had it in mind that I wanted a cornflower blue and butter yellow pattern, leaning a bit towards french country as an overall design style. Maybe more country than french, but without the roosters and stars.

I ended up with this:

Seriously? I don't even like green!!

For those of you playing along with a Benjamin Moore paint fan in your hands (because don't we all have paint fans in our hands while working on the computer? Yes!)... I'd say the cocoa coloured fabric is pretty close to CC-486 "tiramisu". I'm liking this colour to put on the sofa right now. Possibly with piping in the ivory barely visible below the stripes. OC-4 "brandy cream"). It's a heavy canvas-style fabric. 

The dotted pattern at the bottom is not very representative of the overall patterned fabric. The dots are actually large flowers, in a turquoise-y blue-green (CC-754 polar jade) and the same brown as the solid. I'm liking this one for toss cushions and drapes on the big picture window.

The striped fabric co-ordinates with the dotty flowery business. It doesn't look like they match, but they do; the dots match the lighter bluish stripe. The darkest (thin) stripe is a navy blue, the wide dark stripe is the polar jade, the light blue strip is a frustrating greeny bluey gray (CC-690 "piedmont gray")
the snarfy light green is 2148-20 (thyme) and the dark green is 2142-30 (mountain moss).

The problem with the stripe, arguably the loudest of the fabric patterns, is that I can't decide if the colours feel fresh or 70's-ish! They give you such a skimpy sample when you request it, it's hard to judge the fabric when you get home. BAH. The striped fabric would be used for roman shades, accent pillows. Small. Doses.

Here's a photoshopped fabric sample. What do you think? Fresh or retro?


The good thing about this colour scheme (if I go with it) is that the couch and walls would be very neutral colours, and the cuckoo patterns would be on small curtains and toss cushions. If I decided that I hated it 5 years down the road, it would be a small investment in time and money to change it up with something new.

Oh, and for the record, I haven't bought any of the fabric yet. I need to sleep on it.

1 comment:

  1. I love blue, green and yellow. Have you seen my house before? You should come visit some time. Bring the Corrie that hates green, we may be able to convince her of this great green/blue/yellow thing too.

    ReplyDelete