Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dark green thumb

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have a black thumb. Sometimes things I plant grow in spite of my neglect. Let's just say I have a dark-green thumb.

In the fall I planted some bulbs and a few divided perennials that were donated from various gardens. It looks like most of them have survived! I'm especially pleased with the happy tulips near the bunky. My hyacinths haven't faired as well, though. Only one of them flowered. Boo. The bleeding heart is flowering, and the black-eyed susans are showing signs of life.

This weekend I planted a bunch of seeds and seedlings in the garden, including:
- Tomatoes (2 slicing tomatoes, and 1 cherry tomato)
- Green pepper
- green onions
- carrots
- swiss chard
- cucumbers (not sure if the plants are going to survive the transplant. They looked CRANKY when I left).

Also, my thyme, chives, and sage came back after the winter, and I added new rosemary, basil, and oregano plants to beef up my herb selection.

I also picked up some annuals and some cheerful yellow pots to put planters on the deck. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them alive all summer. They contain spikes (Dracaena, I think), potato vine, white wave petunias, and intense pink geraniums.

The lilacs on the property are all in flower and smell heavenly, too. A few hummingbirds have buzzed past, but they've been too fast to catch on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment