Sunday, May 27, 2012

Green things

Time for a bit of a garden update. The seeds I planted two weeks ago are sprouting!

Though you can't really tell yet, these wee sprouts will become swiss chard plants. I have been blessed with spinach- and broccoli-loving children (yes, really!) so I hope they'll also like chard. It reminds me of summer. Mmmmm. With melted butter. mMMMMmmm.

I transplanted the cucumbers that we started indoors, too. A week later, they're not looking very pleased with the arrangement, but they still have green leaves, so there's hope for these plants, yet.
Here are some of the plants that I bought as seedlings. Two kinds of slicing tomatoes, some yellow cherry tomatoes, a bell pepper, and a whack of herbs (like a flock of geese, herbs come in a whack. I just decided that.)

I've got oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme (no parsley, sorry garfunkel lovers) and chives. I debated planting garlic too, but we'll see how this goes; the garden's already pretty full.. The sage and the thyme came back after the winter, which is awesome. Two fewer plants to buy!

As of the time I took these shots, there were no signs of life from my carrot seeds or my onion seeds. The transplanted onions seemed to be surviving, but the row of seeds I planted in addition hadn't popped up yet.

I don't know if the chipmunks and other woodland critters are going to find the garden this year. We have auntie P's metal cage panels at the ready if we need to build a bit of a fence in a hurry. I might be completely deluded, but I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I can't wait to eat fresh veg out of the garden! NOM!!



No comments:

Post a Comment