Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Flutter by

Ever since we removed that dense hawthorn bush directly in front of the cottage, our lilacs have been thriving. This past weekend they were in full bloom and the scent of them wafting onto the porch was heavenly.

It also attracted a fair number of bumblebees. Buzz buzz buzz.

And butterflies!

I lost count how many of them fluttered around the lilacs, but I managed to catch decent photos of a few of them.

This handsome guy is a Morning Cloak. He didn't sit still long enough to let me get any better pictures of him.



There were two question marks. It's not that I don't know what they're called. The name of the butterfly is actually "Question Mark". Way to be confusing, butterfly-naming people. Although I don't have the photo to prove it, there's a small, silver, question-mark-shaped mark on the underside of the hindwings. If you say so, butterly-naming people. You probably drew it on with a sharpie.

There were a few red admirals.

Dad says these are increasing in numbers, though I don't know if I remember seeing one before this year. I probably thought it was a monarch, if I did!

And then there was this guy. DARNED if I can't figure out what it is! Whatever he was, there were two of him, too. Not having a name for him is eating at me. I will now waste hours in a vain attempt to identify it. *

While I look, here's a freaky green bug that was in the garden. He's mesmerizing, no? Also, kinda creepy.

I sprayed him with a hose.

[later]
I still can't figure out what that butterfly is. DANGIT.

Lastly, the prettiest bug to visit was this Black Swallowtail. Isn't he gorgeous? (Why are all bugs "he"?)

He kept posing for me. "No, this is my good side.."

"Perhaps, if I stood.. Just so?"

"... and flapped my wings for you a little?"

It was a very good day for bug watching.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a bug up there and he needs a name.

* UPDATE:
Yah HA hahah! Nameless bug man is a Painted Lady.

Uhm.

Sorry ma'am.

UPDATE #2:
Here's the handy dandy website I've been using to help me figure out what these are:
http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?guide=Butterflies

Happy bug hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment