Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Roof quirks

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's something wonky about the ceiling pitches at the lodge.

This is the only photo I could find that shows both pitches in one shot. It's from our first visit to the lodge with the real-estate agent and it shows the living room ceiling (top of the photo) and the hallway ceiling (bottom of photo) with the pine living room wall in the middle.

Try to pry your eyes away from the crucifix for a moment to look at the ceiling. See how the living room wall (the pine paneling) continues at least two feet higher than the hallway ceiling?

I've wondered why that is. I've wondered many things about that lodge. We've adopted a "don't ask why!!" philosophy to preserve our sanity.

But I couldn't help but wonder "what's in that gap?", "Does a family of raccoons live up there?"

When the ceiling and wall were pulled down as part of the bathroom renovation, we were able to peer into the area above the hallway ceiling.

Guess what we found?

Another roof! Just to help you get your bearings, this photo was taken from the far-end of the hallway, and the wall you can see in the photo is the backside of the crucifix wall.

See the shingles?

See the spaghetti wiring?

Here's another look panning slightly to the right.
Oh. Golly.
That electrical is NOT making me feel any better now that I know what's up there.

On the plus side, now I also know what's under the icky soffit ceiling in the living room.

No, no, no, no. I don't mean scary wiring. Although, now that you mention it, there's probably an excellent chance that there's scary wiring up there too. No, I'm talking about the rafters! Look at those lovely beams and the smooth plywood between them! This means I could probably rip out the soffit and just whitewash the exposed rafters until we can afford to put up a proper ceiling.

That makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment