Monday, March 1, 2010

If your nose runs and your feet smell...

... you're put together upside down (or so sayeth my dad, who knows a lot about this sort of thing).

I think I might be put together upside down, but not because my feet smell.

[pause]

*sniff*

Nope. We're all good here.

No, the problem is that I've been going about things backwards:
- Go to buy a cottage; don't have any money lined up to pay for it.
- Buy an island cottage; don't have a boat.
- Buy linens for bunk beds; don't have bunk beds.

I need to back up for just a second. You need to know that I was contemplating making easy nine-patch quilts for the kids' bunkbed at the cottage. I figured I could do it for less than it would cost to buy 2 quilts. Everything I was seeing online was costing $100 or more per quilt to buy something prefabricated. Then I did some price checking on quilting cotton. It was probably going to run me about $50 to make it. But still... that's $50 in my pocket!

Then I did a bit more digging and found something online for about the same price. AND I didn't have to lose days of my life assembling it. Win-win.

I went shopping yesterday for twin-bed quilts. I fully intended to buy this:
 
Because, well, it was cheap ($50/twin).  And the colours were nice. I found it at Bed Bath and Beyond.  Captain Beaver-pincher said "I bet there's an online coupon for that store." And sure enough, after some digging he finds a coupon for 20% off. So, off we go to the store with two coupons printed out (one for him and one for me) to buy the pretty quilts.

Only, when we get there, they don't have them. (dangit!) Eric asks a clerk if they have any in stock, and they don't (dangit!) but she asks if we saw the red Nautica quilts that are on sale at the front of the store. So we toodle over and we see these:
Well, not exactly. What we saw was a quilt in a bag, but unfolded, this is what it would look like.  Not bad! It has that patchy, cottage-y, rustic quilt quality that I was after, and I love the colours (I'm a sucker for reds). Best yet: they were on sale for $39.99 (reg $109)! Factor in captain cheapiepants' coupons, and they came to $32 ea. plus tax.

WOO!

Here's another look:
Dangit I love a bargoon.
Now that I have the quilts, I have the colour scheme for the back bedroom. The walls will be tan and I'll paint the bunks red. Oh, the bunks. [shakes head] that's a story for another post.

1 comment:

  1. I like the red ones better anyway... less girly for the big strapping defenceman in your ranks.

    ReplyDelete