Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bathroom, part LXVII, the empire strikes back

Another post in a long string of bathroom posts.

Last fall we had to abandon work on the bathroom to close up for the season when were a few short days away from completion. Oh, how that pained me.

This weekend I managed to complete the grout in the shower stall. It wasn't difficult work, but it was tiring, and it took me longer than I expected. For what it's worth, grouting floor tiles is infinitely easier than grouting a vertical surface! Gravity is a jerk. This is the captain cleaning up some of the times before the grout. I wanted to make sure any of the mortar that had squished up between the tiles was chipped away so that it wouldn't show through the finished grout. Fortunately mortar is somewhat brittle and crumbles easily.

The colour we picked for the grout is called "Biscuit" and it's a lovely light beige colour. It's a little lighter than the colour of the tiles themselves. With the grout in, the little tiling imperfections are minimized and the whole project looks at lot cleaner.

I still need to fill the screw holes in the green board on the ceiling, sand, paint, and then caulk the whole shebang. I figure maybe two more days? Or maybe 1 if the paint dries fast. Oh, and please don't look at the bathroom ceiling yet. That's a project for another day.

I also got some white paint on the cap of the half-wall at the end of the counter and I painted the bench I made last September the same grey colour that I'll be painting the vanity doors. Once I have vanity doors. The bathroom looks better with every day we spend working on it. It won't be long now before it's all done. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment