Monday, May 9, 2011

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!

Cottage season 2011 has finally gotten underway!

On Friday, Handy Dad and Sewing Mum launched The Waketania III, their pontoon boat. (Waketania II was Dad's old 500 lb concrete* canoe that we now own. I don't know if he's aware that I'm naming his boat for him, but tough beans. I don't know what the Waketania I was...)

Once afloat, they puttered over to the island to see how things held up over the winter. Originally my main concern was whether the flooring had survived, but after the windstorm at the end of April I was more interested in learning whether the cottage was intact and that none of the buildings had been crushed under a falling tree. I guess sometimes it's good not to have a lot of trees at the cottage.

Upon arrival, the first thing that they saw was that the two sections of our neighbour's dock (installed Easter weekend) had ripped out and were semi-submerged and wedged on either side in front of our cottage.
(click for close up)
and here's another
and another

Dad was able to dock and get in to check out the cottage.  The cottage itself was unscathed by the wind or trees, and better yet - the flooring was in good shape! Calloo Callay!
Fortunately, our own docks were dandy fine.

The wee bird house was still standing
(better than our poor neighbours with the docks)
And none of my ungrouted shower tiles had popped off over during the winter freeze.

According to Dad, the cottage looked like we closed up yesterday, and best of all - no stink! We weren't sure how it would smell after shutting up all winter with the composting toilet. I guess it was just fine. (Yay!)

Dad and the captain hatched a cunning plan to return the next day and install our docks while the princess and I attended our last dance competition of the season. Perfect timing!







*no, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment