Monday, May 16, 2011

Oh, the places you'll go!

While gadding about the countryside in search of parts for the gas-can in That Damned Boat™, we puttered through parts of Ontario I'm not sure I've ever visited! If I have, I definitely don't remember it.

We passed a commemorative plaque honouring Mt. Ararat. The Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Culture has a few of these scattered around, if you know where to look. Actually, that would make for a fun driving scavenger hunt! Anyway, I digress. At first, I thought the spot was one of those depressing road-side shrines marking the spot where a vehicular fatality occurred. I was pleasantly surprised! The plaque reads:
" In May 1847, Catharine Parr Traill (1802-1899), one of Canada's distinguished early writers, moved with her husband, Thomas, and family from Wolf Tower to this farm which they named Mount Ararat, "the highest elevation on the Rice Lake Plains." This property (Lot 19. Concession 8, Hamilton Township) is the locale of Mrs. Traill's famous book for children, Canadian Crusoes (later called Lost in the Backwoods). In the spring of 1849, the Traill family moved a few miles east to Oaklands on Traill Road, their third home in the eleven years they lived in the Gore's Landing area."
 Isn't that neat? I think I'm going to have to pick up that book for my bookworms to devour this summer at the cottage.

On our way out of Gore's landing, I snapped this nifty photo of some trees in the misty rain. I might have to print this for our room at the cottage. The colours are perfect.

Thanks again for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment