Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Green Heron

We've found a new critter on the lake this year.

We first noticed him when we were sitting on the porch and he landed on the branch of the birch tree right in front of us. At first, I thought it was a duck because of its size ("What's a duck doing in a tree!?"), but as it flew away we could see it was no duck.



It was only a fleeting glimpse, but we got the Ontario Bird Book out and decided it was either a Bittern or a Green Heron. I didn't even know they made Herons in green!

This weekend when the kids were out on the water and I had my camera on the dock, he flew by again, and I was able to get a better picture. It's definitely a Green Heron.



I love discovering new wildlife at the lodge!

Well, unless it's floating.

No comments:

Post a Comment