Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

...how does your garden grow?

Wildly, thank you very much for asking!

And stop calling me Mary.

The early tomatoes we spotted last time have been knicked and devoured by the saber-toothed chipmunks knuckling around the island.
 We have a new batch of fruit growing that I hope we'll be able to see ripen. Crossing fingers, toes, and eyes.

The carrots are starting to look more carrot-like. I thinned them out a bit to make room for them to grow, and the ones I pulled were about 1/4" thick and maybe 2-3" long.

The cucumbers have outgrown their awkward "pickle" stage, and are now looking like bonafide cucumbers. We'll be able to start harvesting some of them fairly soon. They're about 6" long right now.

And the Swiss Chard and Onions, too, will be ready in another week or two. Yummy!





I just need to keep the critters out. I've contemplating surrounding the garden with chicken wire, but the wee beggars - I mean vicious brutes - will just dig in from underneath, so it's somewhat pointless. Maybe I should've lined the beds with chicken wire before I filled them with dirt/seaweed as I had initially intended?!

No comments:

Post a Comment