Thursday, July 26, 2012

Spook Island

For years we have heard rumours about a sand bar at the lake, known to locals as "North Beach".  Visitors can drive their boat up, beach it on the sand bar, and spend the day in the water swimming, visiting, and generally having a lovely time.

I don't know if this is the same sand bar, but we've found the one on the east shore of Spook Island. For maybe 10-15 meters out from shore, the water is only about 1-2 feet deep (there I go, mixing my units of measurement again.) It's nice and sandy, no weeds, and the water is warm because it's so shallow.

Because we arrived aboard the cousins' verybigboat, we anchored a short way out from the sand bar and swam in for a visit.
Some of us did suicide jumps off the boat.
Not me, though.

The little boys splashed and played
and tackled each other.

The big boys circled some local girls like wolves
and wormed their way into some "beach" volleyball.




I've read that there are issues with the island cottagers not taking too kindly to trespassers (can't say as I blame them). I've also read that there are issues with broken glass and water snakes in the water (otherwise they'd be land snakes, I guess?), but we saw neither. Probably just as well. I think I'd need a change of swimsuit if a water snake came sidling up to me.

I'm happy that we found the sand bar, though. Now we have a "destination"!

1 comment: