Thursday, October 14, 2010

Shroom update

Look what happened to my cute little mushroom family in the week since we were last at the Lodge. They've gone INSANE!

I think these are Honey Mushrooms, which, according to the wise and all-knowing interwebs, are edible fungi. I'm not going to test that information though. No thanks.

What I am a little concerned about is that they are apparently parasitic, feeding off old stumps and trees. I'm o.k. with them growing on the old stumps, they'll expedite the decomposition of the wood. But these little brats are growing on a fat, exposed root from our birch tree at the edge of the lake. I don't want that to rot and fall over! It would take out the dock and boat if it did.

I debated kicking them off the root, but then I promptly forgot about them in the whirlwind of closing up the cottage for the year. Hopefully they don't do too much damage.

I've got my eye on you, little insane mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment