Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What's under that?

The captain got adventurous this weekend and decided to find out what's hiding under the hideous vinyl-soffit ceiling in the living room/kitchen area.

He's lucky a raccoon didn't spring out at him and maul him.

Here's what we found:
Insulation, and plain old plywood. It's much better than I thought, actually, assuming the roof is the same across the whole room - and let's face it, in this cottage that could be a stretch. If it is all the same though, in theory... in theory I could rip down the ugly stuff, slap a coat of white paint on the rafters/roof and call it a day.

The captain's unconvinced. He's thinking the insulation is a good idea, to keep the heat out during the summer.

My thinking is that a can of paint is a whole lot cheaper than a whole new ceiling (it would run us at least $300), and worst case, if we need that insulation, we can cover it over again later. Am I right?

What's your thought? Leave a note in the comments to let me know. (You can leave anony mouse comments if you like, it's ok.)

I keep drooling over these "inspiration" photos, and I love the look of the exposed roof.
'Course, they've got nice slats up on their roof, so maybe it wouldn't look as good with painted chip-board?






(p.s. Did you just read this? Do me a favour and click on "yay" below so I can see how many people are still reading - sorry to those of you reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to help out. According to Bloggers stats, I've only got 2 to 3 readers a day, and as much as I enjoy entertaining you, it's not worth keeping up for two people. Thanks!!)


4 comments:

  1. Keep the insulation! Try some beadboard celing?
    xo Coley

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.hgtv.ca/blog/archive/2008/11/25/not-so-shoestring-but-goodlooking-makeover-old-plaster-ceilings.aspx
    And here's how to do it... again xo Coley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to agree with the captain but I say the insulation is necessary! Hmmm... but you could put something OVER it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still enjoying reading every day, but on BB.
    The insulation may also be good for winter to prevent an ice box effect? Tho love the look in the pics.
    -Ellen

    ReplyDelete