Monday, May 24, 2010

One! ah, ah, ah....

We've finally finished a room at the cottage.

Finished might be a matter of perspective. I still want to work on the quarter-round trim that can't be installed on the baseboards because the gap between the baseboard and the floor is so great the quarter-round slips beneath it. *exasperated sigh*. And.... we really need to get an electrical outlet into that room.But other than those two things, this room is D-U-N, dun.

Without further ado, I give you......... the bunk room! [oooo...... ahhhhhh!]
OK... So I'm feeling a little proud of myself with this one. I love this room! The kids love it too. For the longest time it was the only clean and tidy spot in the whole cottage. It was their refuge. I would sneak off to lie down on their new clean gooshy mattresses.

Some fun details in this room include the magazine racks installed with each bed. There isn't room in this 8'x8' closet of a room to allow for any kind of a bedside table, so these allow the kids to store their DSs (or, if you're a devious sneak like my son, the plastic bag from the chips you stole from the kitchen without asking.)

I got the idea for these here. I had the ladder trim left over from our old house in Kanata, and asked Handy Dad to cut out the side boards for me from some scrap lumber I had in the garage. Ask for cut boards, get back beautiful fabricated, filled, and sanded finished magazine racks. I just slapped a bit of paint on them to make them match the bed.

I even hung the wah wah wahhhhh seashell wall art. You know what? They're not totally awful. I might have to keep them.















OK. Time for a quick Sarah Richardson-esque cost breakdown for this room:

Big ticket items ($598):
Bed: $150 @ IKEA
Mattresses $170 x2 @ IKEA = $340
Flooring*: 3 boxes @ $35.76/box (we didn't use all three, but we needed more than 2) = $108

Extras ($165):
bedding -$20 (so cheap) - IKEA
quilts - $32 x 2 = $64 - bed bath and beyond
magazine racks = FREE! - Handy Dad
wall paint = about $45/gallon, but I only used half, so let's say $23 - Benjamin Moore
bed paint = dang, can't remember! Let's call it $15. - Benjamin Moore
stars = $9 - White Feather
frames = $7 - Dollarama
birds = $5 ea. - Michael's clearance aisle. Score!
book box thing - urg...I think $10 - Michael's
dresser - Free - donated, formerly in D's "baby" room
Curtain - $7: fabric: IKEA (half meter), hardware: Fabricland, awesome sewing: Mom.

Total cost: $763.

Eat your heart out, Sarah!



*for the record, I LOVE this flooring. So easy to install and it looks fantastic. One caveat for you though: there are "print runs" of the laminate. Meaning, if the dates on your boxes aren't the same, there will be colour variances among your packages of flooring! Very noticeable differences. Check your boxes before you leave the store.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks fantastic! I love the little magazine racks.

    ReplyDelete