Monday, May 3, 2010

Adventure #2: the list

We're back from adventure #2 at the cottage. Ordinarily this wouldn't be anything worth noting, but in this case, making it back is an accomplishment!

I've so much to write about today I might need to break this up over several posts, but for now let's start with a list. Oh wait, there's something I need to do first. I need to formally un-fire Nicole and Alison. They both gave me suggestions for my rope-y frames. The rest of you are still fired though.

Now back to that list.
In no particular order, here are the things I learned this weekend:
  1. Don't forget the keys to the boat.
  2. Always check that you have enough gas in the boat before you head out into the middle of the lake.
  3. There's poison ivy on the island. 
  4. You can always depend on the kindness of strangers. 
  5. When you don't know where to begin, just begin.
  6. A layer of candlewax is difficult to scrape off a microwave with a plastic butter knife.
  7. A grown woman can overcome her aversion to cobwebs and scurrying bébites.
  8. Cardboard =/= subfloor.
  9. Running water = good.
  10. Cottage neighbours are infinitely friendlier than city neighbours. Not meaning to slight my town friends... I'm talking about the next-door variety.
  11. When big waves are crashing ashore, tie up the boat so the bow is facing out (otherwise your boat fills with waves!)
  12. Have an escape plan when your cottage is on an island, just in case the boat won't start.
Truthfully, any one of those items could form a blog post in itself. I'll start to tackle them one-by-one. Stay tuned!

1 comment: