Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reflections

The living room has been eating at me.

Too much beige! Drowning in beige!

Hopefully some colourful pillows will help, as soon as I get around to making them. We have a big wall to cover behind the couch. Big.

A big, beige wall of beige. With a beige sofa in front of it. *Yawn*

I struggled with how to fill that space without breaking the bank.

I saw these funky mirrors at IKEA ($20 for two mirrors, 5 ft long):

And I thought... Ooooooo...

(I do that a lot. Right about when my schemer starts scheming.)

If I turned them so that they were mounted horizontally, they'd look like waves! Homage to the lake! But the space was big. I'd better get two packages (four mirrors in total).

We spent an hour figuring out the calculations to get the mounting brackets centred and levelled. Then we erased all the marks we had made on the wall because I screwed up. Then I screwed up a second time and the captain abandoned me.

Finally I called out "O.K. I've got it for sure this time!" and within fifteen minutes the brackets were attached to the wall and the mirrors were hung.

Whaddaya think?

They don't really do much to offset the beigeyness (new word, because I need it, and because I say so), but at least they break up the expanse of beige wall.

I definitely still need an injection of colour/texture into that half of the room.

I'm mildly unsure about the style of them. Are they too funky/modern for my cottagey cottage?

*ponder ponder*

Always open to suggestions. Leave comments below!

Be warned: I might listen to you! Just ask Gene, Paul, cat-faced-guy and whatshisname.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe some cushions (16 - 18" square) in colors of the curtains) ie turquoise and/or tan,and/or the color of the kitchen cupboards which will tie both rooms together. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about some scenery / cottagey prints or paintings for the walls? That could work if you get tired of the funky mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or a large framed map of the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chair rail - paint the top half another colour.
    Only frustration are the mitered corners.
    I know... more paint...great idea.
    Agree with the map of the lake, too!

    ReplyDelete