Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fabric for the loo

By now you should know that when I plan the decor for a room the process goes something like this:
  1. Find a dominant textile (options: Couch fabric. Curtain fabric. Comforter fabric. Carpet)
  2. Pick a colour from that textile as the wall colour.
  3. Pick two colours from that textile as secondary and tertiary colours (accents).
  4. Add jewellery. (Accessories. Junk you have to dust.)

So here's the fabric I picked up for the bathroom. The paisley will be the shower curtain. It might be a bit too sophisticated for a cottage bathroom, but I'm hoping I can tone it down with some rustic accents.

I plan to paint the wall in "Elephant Tusk" by Benjamin Moore.  It's a  beige with a yellow tint to it that matches the shower tiles really nicely.

The vanity will be painted in "Metropolis" which is a mid-tone grey with just a slight khaki cast to it. It's the grey found in the centres of the paislies in the print (paisleys? What the heck is the plural of paisley? paisles? is paisley a mass noun like "sheep" or "money"? One sheep, lots of sheep? One paisley, lots of paisley? Paisley paisley paisley. Great. Now paisley has ceased to mean anything and has become a noise.)

I'm going to paint the vanity white first, then the grey, then distress it with a sander. I'm also planning to make a small bench for under the window.

Something like this, but it will also be painted grey and distressed. I might make a cushion for it out of the stripe. Or, I might make a roman shade out of the stripe. O.K. I confess. I don't know what I'm going to do yet with the striped fabric, but it matched too well NOT to buy it at the same time, and at $16.00 for 3 meters for fabric I couldn't pass it up. Worst case I suppose the princess will end up with an upholstery-fabric jumper.

I won't tell her if you won't.

I like to make fabric shower curtains for a few reasons.
  • They're machine washable (easy to clean!)
  • You get so much more variety when buying fabric than you do buying shower curtains. (Gah. Horses? Really?) 
  • They're more cost-effective to make than to buy (Augh... "I could make that!")
  • Clear shower curtain liners are $1.99. Hang one up with your fabric curtain to protect the fabric from water.
One of my favourite sneaky tricks is to buy a gorgeous flat bedsheet and hem it to the right length. This time, however, I found the perdy fabric in the buy-1-meter-get-two-free section of the fabric store. Total cost of curtain: $24.99+tax.

Of course, I still need to stitch it up in my copious free time. Right after I make the living room pillows.
And the Princess's birthday party invitations.
And buy some new dance shoes for her.
And alter the red-head's new school pants.
And do the laundry.
And tile the bathroom.
And weed my garden wildflower meadow weed patch.
And....

1 comment:

  1. I love the fabric. And the bench. And the shower curtain idea (totally stealing that one).

    ReplyDelete