Monday, September 27, 2010

Scrapping

Among my set of girly friends "scrapping" usually refers to our weekly Friday night Scrapbooking get togethers. I invited them up for a weekend of scrapping at the lodge, but got into a very different kind of scrapping myself, with very coarse/unrefined paper. A.k.a wood.

I made a bench! Not bad for $12 worth of wood, huh? I used 4-ft lengths 1x10 that you can buy open stock at the Despot. It's intended for shelving, and generally it's carp. Knots, chunks missing, gouges. Not pretty wood. But, if you're going to paint it and distress it, junky wood is not so bad. I also used 5 ft of 1x4 pine for the strips along the side of the seat.

The plan is another one from Knock off Wood, but I modified her dimensions to suit the bench location. Her bench was way bigger, and wider too. Oh, and it had semi circles at the base of the sides that I would've had on my bench too had someone (*coughcoughcaptaincough*) not decided to use my jigsaw as a reciprocating saw (advice: don't) and snapped the blade.

This little cutie is intended for the bathroom and will sit just below the window at the edge of the shower. I built extra cubbies underneath because, well, yes, I have a storage addiction. I just need to find some 11.5x6" baskets and I'm in business! I plan to paint it the same colour as the vanity doors (Metropolis grey).

It's comfy, too.

So, if you see 11"x6" baskets kicking around, let me know, o.k.? Colour isn't important because I'll just be spraying them white.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment