Friday, June 25, 2010

I went to the DC school of drywall taping

How about we all agree that I don't give up my day job just yet. Sound good?

You, see, I really have no future as a drywall mudder. No matter how much my runty heart yearns for an excuse to spend my day tottering around on stilts (I'm allergic to elephants*, so that rules out the circus, too), I just don't have the mad mudding skills to take me far in the land of drywall.

Exhibit A:

I have learned a few things about drywall (this being my first foray into taping and mudding):
  1. Fibreglass tape is awesome, sticky stuff.
  2. Drywall compound is not the same as spackle. It's gloopier.
  3. Having an 8" drywall taping knife is essential.
  4. Joining a seam between two bevelled pieces of drywall is WAY easier than joining a seam between, say, a piece of drywall and an uneven jaggedy bit of panelling.
  5. You can fix a multitude of sins in drywall compound with adequate sanding.
  6. You need full body armour when sanding if you don't want a powder coat.
  7. You can't skimp on the layers of compound if you want to hide a seam really well, no matter how badly you want to forge ahead and prime and paint the walls. If you do, the seam will still show.
 That said, I'm satisfied with the results. Sure, it could be better, but It's Just a Cottage. I'll let perfection slide, just this once. And only because I don't have anyone to yell at about doing such a crappy job.

*No. I'm not. Gullible much?

1 comment: