Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The lake that eats things

Rice Lake is a hungry beast.

Last year, it devoured my cellphone when I wasn't looking.

This year, it snatched my sunglasses off the top of my head and dragged them to the swampy, impenetrable bottom of the marina.

When we showed the audacity to cross its waters to bring guests to Bewdley for an excursion, it caused the ring of cottage keys (boat, paddleboat, bunky, back door, etc) to fall apart just as I was handing them from the boat to the captain on the dock. Thankfully, they all fell to the floor of the boat. All of them, that is, except for the key to the boat, which dropped to the murky deep at the public docks.

"Are you freaking kidding me!?!" I shrieked in incredulity at the lake.

The lake smirked.

Stranded in Bewdley with no means of returning to the island, we (I) hatched a plan to call Handy Dad. He has a spare key to our boat and lives a scant 20 minutes from Bewdley. At least I still had my cellphone handy. We ensconced ourselves on a park bench in the 30°C sun and started dialing while the kids hot-footed it across the sand to hide under the play structure in the park where it was cool.

I dialed for about half-an-hour, always getting their answering machine on the first ring. At least they were home, they were just on the phone. I know my mom. She was probably on another of her marathon phone calls with Auntie P. They live 5 minutes away from each other, but still talk for hours on the phone. What's up with that?!

Finally I called  Auntie P, thinking that if they're not on the phone together, maybe she could drive over and tell mom to get off the dang phone already.

Aunty P picked up on the 2nd ring. "I just got off the phone with your mom!" she informs me.

I knew it.

"Thanks Aunty P." I said. "I'll call her now myself."

After a quick call with Mom and Dad, Dad said he'd swing by with the key. Thank. Heavens.

We waited another hour-and-a-half before they pulled up in Dad's flashy red antique car and handed me the key, which I sheepishly and gratefully accepted.

After they left, we went to the SUP RMARKET (never again) and then back in the boat to the island.

I've learned my lesson though. We bought a new key ring, and I have multiple back-up keys stashed in secret spots.
I was hoping to have more photos to share, but I didn't have my camera with me.

2 comments:

  1. And THIS is why they make handy FLOATING keychains for boat keys. And we always wondered... xo Coley

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was on a floaty keychain! That's what fell apart as I handed it to the Captain. The float helpfully fell back into the boat so we wouldn't lose it.

    ReplyDelete