Sunday, August 28, 2011

Not exactly a bumper crop - yet

Look at my itty bitty cucumbers!

They were about an inch to an inch and a half long when I took these photos. The kids are amazed that we're actually growing vegetables. (What a concept, right?) For them it's a great lesson in "where does my food come from?".

I just hope they'll grow big enough that we'll be able to harvest them before the cold weather hits.

We also had two radishes that were big enough to snack on. Unfortunately the smaller of the two had already been sampled by one of the local rodents. They're radishes with some pep, though, so I comfort myself imagining a frantic chipmunk running around looking for water, saying "Ahhh!!! hot! Hot! hot! it burnth! Ah!!". Maybe they'll think twice about eating any others. Heh.

We have a nearly-ripe tomato, too. It is also showing signs of nibblage. *shakes fist angrily at the chipmunks*

No comments:

Post a Comment