Friday, August 12, 2011

Vanity!

Handy Dad is awesome.

If I haven't mentioned it before, let me unequivocally state for the record: He. Is. Awesome.

He recently built some fabulous cabinet doors for the custom vanity we built in the bathroom.


They arrived at the Lodge unpainted, so Mum took a roller and brush to them first. Please note: you cannot see her "painting" shorts. I was threatened with great harm if I showed a photo of her painting shorts.


After the paint dried, Dad took them back to the bathroom to dry fit them in place, to get an idea which style of hinges he ought to use, etc.


Uh Oh. Glitch! The doors fit the space perfectly. Per. Fect. Ly. So well, in fact, that there's no room for hinges. Dangit.


The doors had a date with the skilsaw to trim 1/4" off the sides of two of the doors, which Dad then sanded and filed to make them match the routered edges elsewhere on the doors.


Then, the unfinished edges got a coat of paint. It was pouring rain out so I couldn't use the usual paint station on the porch. I had to improvise a little to prop up the wet edges with whatever was handy. That turned out to be a couple of limes from the fruit bowl beside me. What can I say!? I'm lazy and didn't want to look harder.
The limes didn't seem to mind.


Trimmed and painted, the doors returned to the bathroom to be installed. Dad fiddled and fiddled and fiddled to get them JUST RIGHT. Making cabinet doors appear to be installed straight when the cabinet itself is woopsy is no mean feat.





But in the end, it's perfect.

 








Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment